12.01.2013

Post-college emotional vomit

Happy Thanksgiving!  I hope everyone's went well.  Mine did, better than expected even!  Ever tried hard apple cider with a shot of fireball whiskey poured in?  You should.

Yesterday I watched this movie called Frances Ha.  Jessica (an awesome person Liz introduced me to) blogged about it and I like her taste so I watched it on Netflix.  If the definition of a good movie is invoking emotions in the viewer, this was a great movie.  

It's about Frances (duh) who is 27 and a struggling dancer in NYC.  Her bff Sophie and her start the movie living together, but life happens and Sophie moves onward and upward.  Frances kind of gets left behind.  She's awkward and broke and missing her other half.  Every other sentence when she's in a group of people is "in college, this" "in college, that."  Anyway, I guess it's a coming of age story.  One that painfully reminded me of the past few years.

After I graduated from college with a freakin' master's degree, it took me nine months to find a real person job, and even when I found it, it paid absolute crap and I felt taken advantage of.  Thank goodness I worked with some of my friends and we made it through together, because some days I just wanted to punch my boss in her dumb face.  In fact, I made so little money there I had to have two jobs, kept working in a restaurant just to keep up the student loan payments.

The feelings of that time - no money, no direction, no accomplishment and a sudden lack of community - came rushing back as I watched this movie.  It wasn't that long ago, I just got a job that changed my entire life in September, and I was studying to get licensed the first month or so, passing the exams was necessary to move forward, failure meant getting fired.  

Needless to say, these are still fresh, raw emotions.  I guess what I'm trying to say is life after college is rough.  It takes some of us a long time to get our shit together.  The awkward post-college, pre-getting-your-shit-together phase is absolutely awful.

And this movie does a great job at telling that story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

yo, whats up?